Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Coolidges Return to Northampton

March 4th 1929 Herbert Hoover was inaugurated as the 31st President and the Coolidges, after attending the inauguration, returned to their beloved Northampton. Grace Coolidge wrote that as she journeyed back to Northampton from Washington D.C. that "I suddenly realized that I had come back to myself, that my husband was no longer the head of our great nation, and that he and I were free to come and go and order our lives according to the dictates of out hearts, responsible only to ourselves for the outcome of out decisions. Gone were the men of the Secret Service, the aides, the valet, the maid, and we were homeward bound."

from Grace Coolidge: An Autobiography
Edited by Lawrence E. Wikander and Robert H. Ferrel

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You saw me, and I wish I was old enough to see you in your decision. To Grace, from Sherry.